Friday, June 24, 2011

If the Shoe Fits...

Good morning class. I know in the past we've covered mechanical monstrosities on fridays, but due to several (many) persuasive letters we will be discontinuing Robo-Defense Fridays. Instead we will continue with our regular subject matter. To that end I give you today's topic.

Shoes.


These will help you survive.
Proper footwear is essential if you expect to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. Now, I know everyone has their favorite pair of old, comfy shoes, but they aren't going to cut it. The footwear you are equipped with will need to stand much more punishment, and offer a lot more protection, than what you are most likely currently wearing. You will be traversing not only post apocalyptic urban environments, but also rural, forested and possibly beach or water environments as well, depending on your location. Your footwear needs to be able to take a beating. Shards of glass and nails will be commonplace. Your footwear needs to provide protection. You don't want zombie blood soaking through your shoes.

Military issue combat boots work well for this. Old, broken in ones for preference. You don't want new shoes or boots in the event you need to run or walk miles. Blisters will quickly make any journey miserable, and nobody wants to be running around like a monkey with potatoes for feet. . So get your boots, steel-toed, leather, whatever your preference, and wear them. By the time you NEED to wear them you want your shoes to fit like a glove.

Great for climbing.
Terrible for fighting Zombies.
Another option that many people are fond of are Vibrum Five Fingers. While I am a fan of this type of shoe, I can't recommend it for survival where you need foot protection. Yes, they are very comfortable, but they give no protection whatsoever. No matter how much you love them, move on. Get some boots.

For the love of god, don't wear sandals. I myself am a fan of the sandals. I wear them most days, but I always have a pair of boots and my vibrums in the Jeep. In an emergency I have the footwear I need at my disposal. If you are stuck with sandals in the event of a zombie uprising, do yourself a favor. Lose them. Just throw them away. Maybe put them in your bag (You know. The bag of supplies and tools you keep packed in your car or closet in case of a zombie outbreak. You do have that...right?) if you have room. Your best bet if caught in sandals is to procure new footwear as soon as possible.

If you think this is good for running you are not worth saving.

1 comment:

  1. My dad brought home pink ones and asked if I wanted them, since I'm a girl and he'd never ever wear pink ones. I declined. A few days later I remembered this post and told my dad that I'd take it. He gave me a really weird look. Better to be safe than sorry?

    ReplyDelete